Tuesday 17 July 2018

FALLING STANDARD …MY WALLS HAVE EARS


Just this morning, the window to my apartment which always affords me privileged gossips from my neighbor’s did it again. This time, not the usual quarrel which always precedes or should I say ushers in moans and groans from his corner, often sickening and making me want to relocate. Today birthed something new, is it?, maybe I have been ignorant of? Well, which ever it is, this filtered in as soon as one of his “student customers" arrived.

GUY:  hey, what’s up you didn't come for the exams yesterday 
GIRL : hmmm, what's the need?  Is it not Dr. XYZ's course? What's the need of going for the exam and paying 15 thousand naira after writing?  
BOY :  oh yeah, na true sef , but you …

The conversation kicked more, and I was made a guest from a stone throw .The Proverbial walls with ears  exposed me to some of the tricks involved in the bizarre form of examination administered and abetted by ‘some’ Lecturers.(thanks to whoever  first imagined, walls have ears) 
Before another thing would start in the room, I got immersed in these puzzles:


Does the school authority know some lecturers administer exams to students in hotels where they write to make up for the money(ies) they are made to pay? 

Does the school Authority know that some department’s admin staff who they trust with examination papers transact same with students? 

How can vulnerable lecturers with little or no resistance to students' monetary inducement and sexual harassment be protected. ( ie ,If at all they need protection or are worthy of being teachers) 

Can students apply for a remark, should they get unjustly marked down? 

When did Class Deans and representatives become tax collectors who coordinate shady deals for "some" lecturers who appointed them? 

Do we really know these things we think do not matter, are responsible for many distinctions that can't be defended by their holders? 

Do we know they are responsible for the rejection/return of Corps members who can't even write a letter to their Zonal Inspectors, talk more of teaching primary school pupils ?

Do we know these students end up being the never do wells in who represent us at various levels in government?

Do we know, same students they transact marks with sometimes find their ways in our institutions of learning? And guess what? as your children's /ward’s lecturers and teachers. 
Certainly, what goes around comes around. 
The spiral effect can't be escaped, because Karma could be very patient man, always at the waiting lounge.
Well, a knock on my door brought me back. I have a film to shoot. And for the funny “ringtone” from my neighbor’s, I’m sure I won’t hear it today, because there’s work to do. And when I come back, I will have a talk with him… certainly. Austine Lordlaz (c)2018


Austine Lordlaz is a Professional Film,  TV and Theatre Director. A Writer,  Poet,Critic, producer, audio-visual editor and production manager with precision and passion. He holds  a master’s degree in directing for TV, film and theatre. He has a couple of  feature films, TV, radio, theatre and published works to his credit. contact  :austinelordlaz@yahoo.com :phone +2348067928977

No comments:

Post a Comment