Sunday 8 July 2018

Irrationality,Gullibility,Common Sense Vs Christianity

 Irrationality,Gullibility,Common Sense  Vs Christianity 

I made out time to attend a night of miracles and wonders in one of those trending churches (Name with held) .They sang, worshiped and prayed while we waited for  the Pastor's moment of anticipated wonder of the night. 
Suddenly, The spinning generator supplying power fizzled out. It was out of fuel. The official responsible for power (One brother Mathew) forgot to buy fuel for the night)  The time was 1.30am and certainly no fuel station was close and movement at such time? Risky. 
The Pastor appeared, and immediately everyone  began to bind, cast and accuse the devil whom to many appeared to be responsible for the drained fuel in the generator  and maybe brother Matthew's forgetfulness or oversight? 
Something must be done, and fast. The Pastor called on brother Matthew to keep two buckets in the male and female conveniences of the church. 
Immediately that was executed, the Pastor asked everyone to  individually into the convenience to pee into the buckets, after which he would pray and their collected urine would be converted into  fuel. 
I got perturbed and disturbed as the church members filed into the rest rooms, one after the other. I had read of the biblical miracle of water into wine, but though I believe in the wonders of Christ, my mind could not just water down or make good meaning off the on going urine ritual. So, I said to my friend who invited me : "Babe, I will not forgive myself if I participate in this. It's irrational to me. I detest gullibility of every kind. Let it not be said that I made the anticipated Urine to Fuel wonder of the night invalid. I ll go home right away. I will be expecting details of the night's exercise when you return ". So, I left,while she branded me "doubtful Thomas and Unbeliever" (her exact words) 
Sad enough the story went sour when we met later in the day. She began in a subdued tone. "... You see eeh, do you know people can frustrate someone's  effort? after 45 minutes of prayer, the urine remained the same".I knew it!  The truth is, the miracle didn't work. The pastor later accused some members of the church of participating in the urine abracadabra with low faith. So, his prayers could not be granted by God. I laughed. Another shocker came when I asked her why her phone line wasn't reachable. She responded : " Lordlaz , my pastor said we should sow a seed with what ever we had for the next miracle that was about coming, so I gave my phone. "
What! That phone is only a week old and it's a gift... !" I realized I was yelling. 
"Calm down  dear," she said. "God works in a mysterious way, better things will come. He said in his word : 'Give, and it shall be given unto you '. 
Only then, I realized that she and other members of the church (and in other folds alike) have been brainwashed. Are they not worse than the docile Boko Haram recruits with no mind of their own. 
I am a Christian,  I believe in God and Christ, his death, resurrection and second coming .i believe in God the father, son and Holy Spirit 
But.... 
Does common sense freeze when we become born again? 

#Takeaway 

Never spend time praying when you should be working. 

Practice the act of giving but don't be cajoled or get religiously blackmailed into dubious seed sowing. The church should cater for the members not the other way round. 

Being born again should never stop you from reasoning .

Not every jargon from your pastor is valid 

It is irrational and gullible to believe fortune will smile on you when you forward some composed messages to a given number of people. 

Christ and God are not on social media. Be not deceived. 

Christ cannot ,will not and shall never  threaten you to broadcast or circulate messages via WhatsApp or any other platform. 

From a concerned Christian : Austine Lordlaz (c) 2018.

2 comments:

  1. My dear I used to think I was alone in thinking that Nigeria "brethren" are gullible. A friend once did a cartoon to show how our new generation pastor welcome their new members. Like..."You are welcome to our church, please hand in your brain. You won't be needing it from this point"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMAZING how feeble minded and vulnerable people are . i would like to see the cartoon

      Delete